Human trafficking is a multi-billion-dollar industry where traffickers exploit their victims for profit and strip them of their identity, dignity and sense of control. Although this global crisis may seem “far away,” California rates as one of the top 4 states in the U.S. where trafficking occurs most.
A significant number of those we serve have been trafficked during their lifetime. This is one of the many reasons why we have chosen to step onto the frontlines of trafficking sights. On the streets of LA County on any given night, we meet with over 30 girls being trafficked; shivering, barely clothed, waiting for the next “John” to objectify them. We are putting our boots on the ground to empower the women by showing up as: “The Church,” praying with them, and offering next-step solutions as well as care-packages that assure them they are seen, known and loved by God.
Gems Uncovered asked NorthEast to assume leadership by building outreach teams that take faithfully to the frontlines each Friday night from 9pm-2am starting this March. To fully understand the trauma and dynamics of trafficker/victim relationships, NorthEast and selected volunteers are studying an intensive online curriculum produced by Treasures, another faith-based non-profit.
Our battle against trafficking speaks to the heart of our mission to bring God’s Word into hard-to-reach places.Consider becoming a faithful ally of ours by supporting us as we lead our outreach teams onto the streets, modeling Ephesians 5:11: “Take no part in worthless deeds of evil and darkness; instead, expose them.”
How You Can Help
Provide care-packages for the women we reach on the streets
- Stuffed with: lip gloss, small perfumes, condoms, hand sanitizers, jewelry, traveling lotions, hand-warmers, gift-cards (Taco Bell, Starbucks, Jack in the Box, etc.)
Pray for our outreach teams each Friday night
- Join our prayer team by gathering and lifting up our outreach teams to the Lord before they enter onto the streets.
- Alternative to gathering – pray in the safety of your own home for our teams on Friday nights.
Volunteer with one of our outreach teams
- Every Friday night our outreach teams will be on the streets from 9pm-2am to reach and minister to the girls being sexually exploited.
- We meet at the Drop-In Center in Long Beach at 8:30pm on Friday nights.
- Training curriculum included and required.
- SEE SIGN UP SHEET!
Truths about the Sex-Industry
- 89% want to escape but see no options for survival
- 90% of women in sex industry were sexually abused as children
- More women in sex industry today than any time in history
- 84% of women in prostitution are under control of a pimp/trafficker
- Mortality/death rate is 240x more in comparison to other professions
- Women in the sex commercial industry have PTSD similar to veterans
- ½ of all victims are minors; 70% of them being children from the foster care system
*Source: Treasures (www.iamatreasure.org)
Education & Resources
- National human trafficking hotline: 1(888)373-7888
- Reporting potential human trafficking situation: https://humantraffickinghotline.org/report-trafficking
- Treasures Annual Report: www.iamatreasure.org
- Gems Uncovered: https://gemsuncovered.org/
- Information about buyers in your state: http://www.demandingjustice.org/
- Definitions and signs: https://gemsuncovered.org/what-we-do/human-trafficking/
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Human Trafficking: https://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
- National Center for Missing and Exploited Children: https://www.missingkids.org/home
- Federal Bureau of Investigation, Investigative Programs, Crimes Against Children: https://www.fbi.gov/
- Finding Freedom International: https://findingfreedomint.org/